Avoiding Pacifier Induced Allergies

Pacifiers induced allergies are a negative reaction by the body’s immune system to the latex in pacifiers and the symptoms usually involve only the mouth. This is caused by allergy-like, immune system and infant health conditions. ConsumerReports.org recommends that parents buy silicone instead of latex to minimize their child’s risk of experiencing an allergy or sensitivity to latex. This is especially true if your family has a history of latex allergies or sensitivities. Many babies who are suffering from a latex allergy might develop a rash or asthma—or even go into shock when they are exposed to latex, according to MedlinePlus, the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s online database of health information.


Keep your silicone or latex pacifiers clean and discard them when they show signs of wear and tear. This will help to minimize your child’s chances of experiencing injury or illness due to pacifier use. Be sure to look your baby’s pacifier over carefully before placing it in her mouth. Screen it carefully for discoloration, holes, tears or weak spots. Always wash the pacifier frequently with warm, soapy water. This is especially crucial for children younger than 6 months, due to their immature immune systems.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: